10 Boxers who have died in the Ring
It is very usual that a boxer will get injuries during his game. It’s a part of the game. Each and every boxer gets several injuries but some of them become very serious. Even they have suffered for that injury over a long period. But although very rare still many famous boxers have died in the ring. According to the statistics approx 500 boxers died in the ring till now since the rule Marquis of Queensberry was introduced in the year 1884. Just imagine about the number and how pathetic about the boxers who donated their life for the sake of game. Here we will be naming few of these boxers who donated their life in boxing.
List of Boxers who have Died in the Ring:
1. Brad Rone: This incident occurred on 2003 when Brad Rone competed with Billy Zumburn. At the end of the first round Billy gave several punches to Rone and after that as Rone was walking towards the corner he fell down and expired.
2. Choi Yo-sam: He was a Korean world boxing champion. He died on 2008 in a match with Heri Amol where he was beaten very badly at the 12th round but still he won the match. Afterwards a brain surgery was done in the hospital but still he couldn’t live he died soon after that surgery.
3. Daniel Aguillon: Daniel was a Mexican feather weight boxer. When he died his age was 24. After the official fight with Mexican boxer Alejandro Sanabria in 2008. He went to coma and after 5 days in hospital he was officially declared as dead.
4. Pedro Alcazar: Pedro was a well known Panamanian Boxer. He was the winner of Panamanian Golden Gloves. His death was little amazing as after his injury in the ring he was declared well by the medical check-up after that he suddenly expired in his hotel room before flying to Panama.
5. Leavander Johnson: An American boxing champion Leavander Johnson died in his dressing room slight after the boxing match in 2005. His match was against Mexican fighter Jesus Chavez. The match was cancelled early by the referee after Leavander got a bunch of punches from the opponent.
6. Benjamin Flores: Flores was a professional Mexican boxer. In 2009, in a match with Al Seeger he died due to massive brain injury. He was taken from the ring in a stretcher. The match continued till the eighth round.
7. Martin Sanchez: Martin was known as ‘The Fireman’. He was a famous Mexican feather weight boxer. Martin got deeply injured at a fight with Rustam Nugaev. He died the next day in hospital as he was in ventilation after the surgery.
8. Becky Zerlentes: Here it is quite different as Becky was a female boxer and she was amateur. She was also a martial artist. In 2005, she was knocked down by Heather Schmitz, where she fell unconscious in the ring and fell down and never woke up. Probably she is the first female boxer to die in the ring.
9. Kim Duk-Koo: Kim was a South Korean boxer who died in the World championship boxing match against Ray Mancini. After his death some rules were changed by the World Boxing Federation specially the rounds were reduced to 12 from 15.
10. Frankey Campbell: He was a heavyweight boxer and Italian-American in nature. He was killed by a future heavyweight boxing champion Max Baer in the ring on 1930 in San Francisco. The match continued till the fifth round.Boxing, Lists, playing basketball, worst